Distributed Control System
- Improves reliability and minimizes failures by distributing the control functions to each mini-system
- Centralizes the distributed systems for efficient data processing and operation management
- Servers and clients. The servers gather tag data from the PLC(s), contain the graphics, and serve both out to clients for operators to use.
- Redundant servers, controllers and/or networks.
- Synchronized alarming and security.
- Historical data logging and trending.
- Batch management.
Example scenarios where a DCS might be used include:
- Chemical plants
- Petrochemical (oil) and refineries
- Boiler controls and power plant systems
- Nuclear power plants
- Environmental control systems
- Water management systems
- Pharmaceutical manufacturing
Simatic PCS 7